come to my attention that some people still haven't figured out the
whole thing with the URL change. With luck, most of
WoB's readers have now
found this site (hi,
guys), but it seems that some of them also believe WoB has been on hiatus; they therefore
may have missed a few weeks' worth of material. Please check
the archive, everybody; the Mighty String of WoBs remains unbroken (albeit slightly
mangled last week, when I had a deadline-related crisis).
What happened, again, was the following:|
1) The old site went down because someone in charge of another branch of it was posting material infected with malware, and the administrators lost their tempers.
2) The malware problem was fixed a few weeks later, and the site returned. Unfortunately, it returned on a different server, with different passwords. I asked for access, but this was just when the old IT guys were leaving their jobs, and a new one was taking over. My request got lost in the shuffle.
3) As Massey was just on the verge of moving to an external server anyway, yet another person migrated the alumni site to said server. The address thus changed, but I had no way of leaving a redirect on the old site, which continued to sit there, not updating.
4) At long last, I secured an interview with the new IT guy, who told me he wanted my site off his server (mostly due to the fact that yet another branch of the uber-site was clogging up the server with huge, huge video files). I asked for room for a redirect--if not on all the pages, at least on two or three major ones--but he said no.
5) So the old site is now permanently down, and some people still haven't noticed the shift. Moreover, Google helpfully puts the completely absent old site at the top of every list of search results. The new site often appears on, like, page five. I am really sorry about this, but there is absolutely nothing I can do.
6) To make a long story short (too late!):* if you're under the impression than WoB went on hiatus, check the archive page. There may be more comics out there than you think.
*Clue reference (the film, not the board game). Yes, I am a terrible geek.
|Friday, March 19, 2010|
|Panel 1: Marie lies facedown on her bed. Evil Marie sits saucily beside her.|
Evil Marie: I see you've lost your mind again.
Marie: You're not real. Go away.
Evil Marie: Is it normal for a crisis to be triggered by somebody else's job applications?
Marie: I don't listen to figments.
Evil Marie: Or maybe it's Casey's fault. You really need to work out your feelings there.
Marie: La la la la la.
Panel 4: Smirking, Evil Marie straddles Marie.
Evil Marie: This is fun. Let's do it for hours.
Marie: What part of my head do I have to hit the wall with to make you go away?
Alt-Text: When my imaginary doppelganger nags me like that, I bang HER head against the wall. Try not to think too hard about that one.
Go to commentary